Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Diaper changes - a dad's perspective




One of my best friend's Brett wanted an update on how my diaper changing skills are progressing so I thought I would put together a few of my thoughts 3 weeks into parenting.

  1. If evolution were true every mom would have grown a third arm by now - holding up Nolan's legs, trying to use a baby wipe and position a diaper with 2 hands is tough.
  2. Having to "get your feet wet" in the diaper changing business with a meconium filled diaper is cruel. I think I used 12 baby wipes on my first diaper change. (I need to buy some stock in the baby wipe company)
  3. Changing a little boy's diaper is an adventure in which I pray that he doesn't decide to spray me. Once that diaper is off it is like a countdown clock is on - I need to do a good job cleaning him up but I also need to work quickly before the clock expires and I get wet. It's like deactivating a bomb.
  4. Infant clothing is overrated. Having to pull his arms and head thru clothes while he screams only to have him need a diaper change 5 minutes later is not my idea of a good time. Nolan hangs out in a diaper and onesie most days.
  5. The diaper genie was a pleasant surprise. We had heard from a few different people that they didn't like it but for us it has been a good asset. It's always unbelievable when you pull the bag out and see about 50 used diapers - every 3 days!
  6. What a blessing to have an awesome wife that probably changes 90% of the diapers in our house! Danielle is a great mommy!

2 comments:

  1. A very thorough update - keep up the good work Nick! I prefer the diaper genies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well put! Sounds like you're figuring it out fairly quickly! I agree...Danielle is a great mommy :)

    ReplyDelete